UPDATE ON FUTURE COMPETITIONS
The Young Artist Concerto Competition is currently on hiatus, due to a lack of a performance opportunity for the winner during the Boulder Phil's 2015-16 season. Thank you for your interest, and please check back in March 2016 for updates on future competitions.
RESULTS FROM THE 2014 COMPETITION
Senior Division Winners:
- 1st Place: Aris Doike, Boulder (cello)
Aris Doike performed the finale of Antonin Dvorak's Cello Concerto with the Boulder Philharmonic on September 13, 2014 at St. Luke's Methodist Church in Highlands Ranch.
- 2nd Place: Wesley Leffingwel, Denver (piano)
- 3rd Place: Natalie Hodges, Denver (violin)
- 3rd Place: Aileen Razey, Centennial (clarinet)
Junior Division Winners:
- 1st Place: Abigail Enssle, Boulder (harp)
Abigail Enssle joined the Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra on stage at Macky Auditorium for a Discovery Concert on Thursday, April 24, 2014 in a performance of Handel's Concerto for Harp and Orchestra for 1,000 4th and 5th grade students.
- 2nd Place: Rina Helt, Colorado Springs (cello)
- 3rd Place: Eliot Lee Juhon Hodges, Aurora (cello)
- 3rd Place: Hannah Grace Tassler, Denver (flute)
|Junior Division Winner, Sofya Norman, playing with the Boulder Phil at the 2013 Discovery Concert in Macky Auditorium|
Archived Information for the Boulder Philharmonic 2014 Young Artist Concerto Competition:
The Young Artist Concerto Competition has provided a forum for exceptionally talented young musicians since 1959. You can download this year's guidelines and application for each division, including a description of performance opportunities for the winners.
RULES & REGULATIONS
ELIGIBILITY: Open to all musicians residing or studying in the state of Colorado who are the following ages, as of January 1:
- Ages 17-22 for the Senior Division
- Ages 8-16 for the Junior Division
APPLICATIONS: Must be completed and returned with proof of age and a non-refundable check for $30 for the Junior Division and $40 for the Senior Division. A confirmation will be e-mailed upon receipt of the application. The Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra is not responsible for late or misdirected mail due to weather, insufficient postage, or mislabeling. Your application and fee must be postmarked by the posted deadlines, and sent to:
Young Artist Concerto Competition
Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra
2590 Walnut Street, Boulder, CO 80302
Make checks payable to the Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra
REPERTOIRE CRITERIA: One movement of a concerto or concert piece for solo instrument or voice and orchestra. Selection must be memorized and no longer than 15 minutes for the Senior Division, and 10 minutes for the Junior Division.
Contestants must perform a work that regularly appears in concert repertoire and for which the music for the orchestra would be readily available. In the event a contestant is selected for a performance opportunity and the chosen work exceeds certain instrumentation or library limits below, the Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra reserves the right to request the winner to substitute another work.
Music library limitations: Repertoire should be either in the Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra music library, easily loaned from a local source, or available for rental from a U.S. publisher. In the case that the work is obscure and only available at a large cost to the Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra, the Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra reserves the right to request the winner to substitute another work.
Instrumentation limitations: Repertoire should fit the following predetermined instrumentations for the respective performance opportunities:
- Senior Division: 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 3 bassoons, 5 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, 1 tuba, timpani, 2 percussionists, 1 harp, strings
- Junior Division: 3 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 4 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, 1 tuba, timpani, 3 percussionists, 1 harp, strings
AUDITIONS: Auditions will be held at the Parlando School for the Arts, 2590 Walnut St. in the Dairy Center for the Arts in Boulder on these dates:
- March 16, 2014 for the Junior Division
- April 13, 2014 for the Senior Division
Auditions are closed to the public. Decisions made by the judges are final. Applicants must be available for all Concerto Competition events. Accompanists and page-turners (if needed) must be provided by the applicant. Decisions made by judges and competition committee are final.
- Senior Division Winners: The winner from the Senior Division will perform with the Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra at the season opener in the Fall of 2014. Additional performance opportunities may be available. The top three winners will receive a $100 gift certificate to Boulder Philharmonic Masterworks concerts.
- Junior Division Winners: One winner from the Junior Division will be chosen to perform with the Boulder Philharmonic at the Discovery Concert on April 23 and/or 24, subject to Music Director review. The top three winners will receive a $100 gift certificate to Boulder Philharmonic Masterworks concerts.
Four complimentary tickets will be given to the winner’s family to attend the concert. In the event the winner cannot participate in the performance, the 2nd place winner will take their place.
For questions regarding the Young Artist Concerto Competition, please contact the Boulder Philharmonic’s Director of Community Engagement, Cynthia Sliker, at email@example.com or call (303) 443-9203.